zondag 21 november 2010

Bloody-Disgusting Horror DVD News

Bloody-Disgusting Horror DVD News


Blu-Ray Review: 'Night Of The Hunter'

Posted: 21 Nov 2010 03:32 PM PST

Often times, we think back to our childhood horror memories with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia as we remember our first viewings of staples like A Nightmare On Elm Street orHalloween. But, its those few odd ducks ones that arent as mainstream that really define our palate, and honestly, what would you rather talk about: Michael Myers, or how awesome you remember Chopping Mall being? Night Of The Hunter, while an all-time classic, is one of the more obscure films I picked up on when I was little, all thanks to believe it or not a book on horror movies that was at my elementary schools library. Of course, watching the film at the tender age of ten (also procured from the same library), I had no grasp of the lyrical nature that occupied every frame of acclaimed actor Charles Laughtons only turn in the directors chair, nor did I have any idea how much of an influence D.W. Griffith had on the film, let alone who he was. The reason the it did stick with me, whether I realized it at the time or not, was that its a southern gothic horror film made from the childrens' perspective and, in turn, makes it much more identifiable and terrifying to a kid; namely, me. Fifteen years later, it appeals to me on a different level, and thats really the strength of the film; your perspective and appreciation of it changes with age, something many directors wish their feature could accomplish.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten